3.29.2009

Have you tried cheese curds? A Wisconsin classic.



These are cattle for beef, not dairy.  No, this wasn't another photo from Wisconsin.  I took the photo near Kansas City on my Dad's farm. However, it reminded me of growing up in Wisconsin and having great pride in living in the dairy state and buying cheese at local shops.

I try to support local businesses, in my case the Midwest.  It's been a few years since I lived in Wisconsin, but I still look for the "made in Wisconsin label".   This week I shopped at Meijer (another Midwest company, headquartered in Michigan) and bought Maple Leaf cheese ("handcrafted with pride since 1910" from Monroe, Wisconsin).

In Wisconsin, there's aisles and aisles of cheese, so many varieties.  A favorite treat was cheese curds.  Have you tried them?  What's your favorite cheese.

I found the inside of the label interesting because it gave a history of the cheese curds, so I thought I'd share "Long ago, a lone man saddled up his camel for an ominous trek across a Middle East desert.  For nourishment, he also poured an abundance of milk into his saddlebag.  To his astonishment, when he opened his bag for a drink, he found white curds and liquid.  What a monumental discovery!  How do you explain this metamorphosis?  The science behind the curdling of the milk lies within this adventurer's saddlebag.  this saddlebag was made from the stomach of the goat."

What foods are famous in your state?

No comments:

Post a Comment