|Bison at Yellowstone National Park|
The kids enjoyed seeing the bison so much, we sought out a closer location with bison. USA Today listed The Land Between the Lakes as one of the "51 Greatest Places to See Wildlife" describing the area, "Located in the national recreation area known as Land Between the Lakes (between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake), Kentucky's only drive-through elk and bison prairie gives visitors up-close views of these majestic animals."
The Elk & Bison Prairie National Recreation Area (Golden Pond, KY) in Land Between the Lakes offers family an economical deal - only $5 per car. http://www.lbl.org/EBPrairieGate.html. Only enclosed vehicles allowed. The loop only covers 3.5 miles, but leave plenty of time to allow bison to cross the road in front of you.
As the kids continued to age, I'd find more places to sight bison. Look up bison farms where residents raise bison and offer products for sale. I found one in Wisconsin - Lester's Bison Farm (31807 60th St, Salem, WI). No entrance fee.
We did purchase meat after learning more about the farm business from the owner himself. If you do not feel motivated to travel for bison meat, go to meet Lester. His patriotism shines at the driveway entrance with a row of American flags. Retired from the United States Marine Corp, he has a lot of stories to tell.
If you'd like to show your kids the bison, here's 7 other locations with bison;
1. Sandsage Bison Range, Garden City, KS, http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-3/Sandsage-Bison-Range
2. Blue Mounds State Park, Luverne, MN, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/blue_mounds/index.html
3. Antelope Island State Park, Layton, Utah (UT), near Salt Lake City, $9 per car http://www.utah.com/stateparks/antelope_island.htm
4. Fort Robinson State Park, Crawford, Nebraska http://www.stateparks.com/fort_robinson.html
5. Maxwell State Bison Refuge, Canton, KS http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Wildlife-Areas/Region-4/Maxwell
6. House Rock Wildlife Area near Jacob Lake, Arizona, http://www.wildlifeviewingareas.com/wv-app/parkdetail.aspx?parkid=57
7. Witchita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, OK, bison and elk reintroduced http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Wichita_Mountains/wildlife_and_habitat/index.html#