4.04.2015

Geography #3: Belize and Cave Tubing Adventure

My husband and I had an amazing jungle river boat tour in Belize while I was pregnant with our second child.  Our fearless guide took the boat right up to a crocodile leaping into the air and splashing back into the water.  Our guide pulled  the boat close to shore, so we could see the giant iguanas hanging from the trees.  Our guide enthusiastically insisted we all need to move to Belize, really not that dangerous of a country.  We bought wooden bowls and vases at a local market in the jungle.  Our items wrapped in newspaper gave us reading material on the bus including the story of a foreigner murdered yesterday.  
Sharing the photographs would have been amazing...except my husband left the camera memory card in the Norwegian cruise ship room safe.  We had to return to Belize someday.  Who would know how to top such experience?  Pauline Frommer!  The award-winning travel writer would speak at the Chicago Travel and Adventure Show.  So I asked Pauline and she quickly replied that we must take the family cave tubing!
Not too many places offer cave tubing.  However, Belize has the largest cave systems in the Americas.  Humans have discovered over 300 caves in Belize and still looking for more.  The Dark Night Three Cave Tubing Adventure Cave Exploration tour takes you to a journey deep into Jaguar Cave.  Jaguar tracks left in the soil led to the cave name.  While I kept my eyes out for jaguars, I had a two surprise.  
Surprise #1 - Friendly Scorpion
The first surprise came after the hour plus bus ride including a bumpy section over a dirt road.  Employees warned us to use the restrooms because the trails had no restroom.  The signs clearly stated not to throw paper in the toilet.  I didn't expect the scorpion crawling out of the wastebasket.  I didn't freak out.  In fact, I waited patiently for the opportunity to photograph him.  I didn't follow the scorpion too long.  It's generally unwise to stalk a venomous animal.  I told my husband about the scorpion and he shrugged.  If your spouse lived in South America for a year and Spain for a year, you can get shrugs.  As if I just told him I saw a fluffy, cute cat or dog.  For goodness sakes, I probably just say a centruroides gracilis, the most common black scorpion in Belize.  

Surprise #2 -Termite-Eating Guide
The second surprise came from our tour guide.  Before you get to tubing, you hike in the rainforest, across wooden bridges, and near towering cliffs.  The caving tour company claimed guides were versed on jungle plants, herbal medicine, and Mayan history.  Boy, our guide more than delivered.  From Mayan descent, his father taught him at a young age how to survive in the thick rainforest.  He seemed to know every plant and animal.  At one point, he stops to show us termites and encourage us try them.  Surprise!  Termites are packed in protein!  You should eat them!  Despite my enthusiasm for protein, I let the guide eat the termites.  The kids really liked our guide as he let the kids climb vines and ask lots of questions.  

Historically the Belize citizens used caves were for sacred rituals and ceremonies and caves could cause fear.  You need not fear the caves.  The guides give you headlamps and it never seemed pitched dark to me.  The Jaguar Cave has enormous 100-foot ceilings.  I think even claustrophobic people would enjoy this cave tubing.  Indian Creek's calm waters let us enjoy the views.  Emerging out of the cave made for a beautiful scene of blue skies, bright blue green water, and green plants surrounding us.  
After all the hiking, we had quite the appetite and so grateful for the local lunch included.  Chicken, stew, and beans brought back good taste and scent memories of visiting Central America.
The neat part of the long bus ride was having the opportunity to see the city, the countryside, and even the above ground cemeteries.  I booked the excursion through the Royal Caribbean cruise.  The cruise traveled to Belize, Honduras, and Mexico.  Read about our dolphin excursions in Honduras in my article "Dolphin Kisses".  Travelers know that you can't just appreciate the destination, you need to appreciate the journey too.  A special thank you to Pauline Frommer, encouraging us to take another adventure.










x

No comments:

Post a Comment